The consumption of nutritional supplements in Spain grows by 7%
The growing interest in having a healthy body, even wanting to fit with the beauty canons of the time, and the multiple diseases generated by eating problems, have caused that food, drinks and sports and dietary supplements have consolidated their presence in the market.
The consumption of sports nutrition products or nutritional supplements has increased in Spain by 7% compared to the previous year, reaching 59 million euros, according to data from the Euromonitor International Sport Nutrition in Spain.
This increase is within a context of global growth in the consumption of food supplements and sports supplements, as reported by the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) and the Nutrition Business Journal. According to data from Global Industry Analysts, in 2013 the sports nutrition industry moved 5,000 million dollars in the world, and the forecasts for 2018 expect the figure to increase to 6,170 million, representing an increase of 23%.
According to the Association of Dietary and Food Supplement Companies (AFEPADI), the expansion and consolidation of the sector at an international level is evident after learning about a study carried out by the Nutritional Business Journal before the end of 2017. Among the data shown by the Nutritional Business Journal on the industry, AFEPADI notes the following:
- Annual sales of food supplements worldwide reach the figure of 2 billion dollars, growing by 5.7% compared to the previous year. They expect growth to remain stable until 2020 and reach the figure of 151 billion dollars.
- Food supplements and dietary products are the fastest growing, with Asia and Africa, the continents that have reached the highest quotas.
- The highest consumption of nutritional supplements based on vitamins and minerals has been in Latin America, followed by Eastern Europe and Russia.
- The world’s largest market for herbs and botanicals is in Asia, which produces annual sales that exceed 15 billion dollars.
- The United States is the world’s first food supplement industry, Asia, the second, and Europe, the third.
From LegaleGo Nutrition, as a food safety consultancy, we want to point out the effort made by the nutritional food industry in Spain to contribute to this growth.
Given the rigorous quality processes that meet food and dietary supplements, as well as sports supplements, this growth would not be possible without demonstrating great responsibility in the sector. The manufacturing process must be free of ingredients not allowed to be able to carry out a sanitary registration of the food, and with that, reflect it on the labeling of each of the products.
Without a doubt, this will be the way to continue growing and generate a perception of brand quality and solid reliability among consumers.