New European expert opinion on food supplements
The food supplements market is experiencing remarkable growth in Europe. However, we find that their regulation is not uniformly applied in the European Union. This can lead to a malfunctioning of the internal market and that the free movement of goods is not entirely safe. This is why the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) published an expert opinion last July on “How to implement harmonisation of market entry for food supplements in Europe: solutions and good practice”. In this expert opinion, the EESC advocates the need to revise the legislation on food supplements on the basis of a new definition of food supplements. In addition, it intends to include the obligation to notify and study the administrative dossiers of each food supplement through a new food monitoring system. On the other hand, it is not only control, analysis and monitoring that are essential, but also information. Provide information to the buyer so that he/she can buy and consume the products in complete safety.
Objectives set out in the expert opinion on food supplements
The aim is to have a more uniform regulation across all countries. Therefore, the objectives sought and set out in this Opinion are:
- Improve the regulatory framework, given that it has hardly been modified since its creation with Directive 2002/46/EC
- Define “food supplements” precisely, so that it is no longer subject to varying interpretations.
- Complete update of the regulations to harmonise the food supplements market.
- Achieve more effective reporting. This would involve administrative registration prior to marketing.
- Establish maximum nutrient values as a legislative priority.
- Improve statements to facilitate consumer choice.
- Increase surveillance and control of distance selling of food products. E-commerce has increased in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, so there is a need to strengthen its security and avoid unfair competition. You can check our post “Online sale of food, what legal requirements must be met?”
You can consult the European Opinion. If you have any questions, call us and we will help you from LegaleGo Food Consulting with all the steps you need according to your activity in the field of food supplements. We are specialized in the review and notification of food supplements throughout Europe.