New European opinion on food supplements
The food supplements market is experiencing significant growth in Europe. However, we find that their regulation is not uniformly applied in the European Union. This may lead to a malfunctioning of the internal market and the free movement of goods may not be entirely safe.
Therefore, last July, the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) published an opinion on “How to implement harmonization of market entry for food supplements in Europe: solutions and best practices”.
In this opinion, the EESC advocates the need to revise the legislation on food supplements, based on a new definition of food supplements. In addition, it intends to include the obligation to notify and study the administrative files of each of the food supplements through a new food monitoring system.
On the other hand, not only control, analysis and monitoring are essential, but also information. Provide information to the buyer so that he/she can purchase and consume the products in complete safety.
Objectives set forth in the Opinion on food supplements
The aim is to have a more uniform regulation among all countries. Therefore, the intended objectives set forth in this Opinion are:
- Improve the regulatory framework, given that it has hardly been modified since its creation with Directive 2002/46/EC.
- Define “food supplements” precisely, so that it is no longer subject to different interpretations.
- Complete update of the regulations to harmonize the food supplements market.
- Achieve more effective reporting. This would involve administrative registration prior to commercialization.
- Establish maximum nutrient values as a legislative priority.
- Improve claims to facilitate consumer choice.
- Increasing the monitoring and control of distance selling of food products. E-commerce has increased in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, so there is a need to strengthen its security, in addition to unfair competition. You can consult our post “Online food sales, what legal requirements must be met?”
You can consult the European Opinion.
If you have any questions, call us and we will help you from LegaleGo Food Consulting with all the steps you need according to your activity in the field of food supplements. We specialize in the review and notification of food supplements throughout Europe.